Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Deep breath. Enjoy the ride.

Some words of wisdom I was given yesterday are resonating with me today.....

Deep breath. Enjoy the ride.

I know its about the process, not the destination. I'm trying not to rush to the ending, even when restlessness gets the better of me. I think I do a (mostly) good job at that, but the reminder was well timed.

You reap what you sow.

That's a tougher one, but I'm working on it. Isn't it strange that our failures are what stick with us, when it should be our successes that rise to the top? Maybe its because they're humbling. I try not to dwell on the failures. Instead I use them as reminders of what the goal is. And I hope that the failures are not irreversible.


None of this has anything to do with this image. Except that I really wanted to shoot something today. That restlessness. But I had these images I made the other night. I was so displeased with them that I pushed the whole shoot out of my mind. Lightroom didn't care, they were still there when I found them today. Deep breath. It's the process that's important. What can I learn from a night of unimpressive shots? Well the first thing is to walk away, but make sure to come back. Revisiting old images, after a breather and some space, is a good idea.

In the end, I'm pleased enough with this to post it. And for those interested, I even wrote down the workflow. I'm open to CC on this, so please, if you have suggestions let me know.



The was shot in front of a translucent piece of no slip shelf liner with a piece of white foam core behind it. I placed a 500 watt continuous light and diffuser on the left side.. My hope was to play with the striped texture of the plastic. I didn't like the result, but thought I would play with the images anyway.

This is a stacked composite made up of 5 images. After stacking and blending, I corrected white balance and made other basic corrections using Camera Raw Filter.

High Pass Filter at 2.6 pixels, then a levels adjustment layer mask painted on to bring out the details in the shadows.

Black and white layer started with a green filter, the made adjustments to the red and yellow channels.

Two brightness layers added, one applied to only the background to brighten it, and one applied to the leaf to increase contrast and brighten slightly.

ISO200
f2.8
1/50sec
50mm


No comments:

Post a Comment