Tuesday, October 15, 2013

What happens next

I sat at that intersection for a long time (sorry for continuing the crossroads analogy). Now my direction has been chosen, and but for a few details (like actually signing on Smugmug's dotted line) I'm on this new path. And I'm finding that already, without doing anything except choosing the direction, things are already happening.

I'm astounded, frankly. I don't necessarily buy into the new aged mumbo jumbo about positive thoughts leading to positive outcomes... I've had a lifetime of being positive and getting no where. That said, something is happening, and besides my intention shifting, I haven't really done anything concrete to make anything happen.

A long time ago, I made a commitment to myself. I would not say no to a new photographic opportunity. That commitment made me do things that I normally would have said no to. Portraits, for one. I am slowly growing into a love for this. Its still early, and I still get jitters, but every time I do someone's portrait, I learn something new. Photographically, and personally. I can talk to people, when I didn't think I could. I can deal with challenges, and come up with on-the-fly solutions. 

So here's a first. Today someone contact me. Cold. I don't know them, she saw my work for another family, and wants similar photos for her own family. (Can I just say how incredibly amazing that is?) I don't advertise as a portrait or family photographer. I don't advertise, period. Of course, in line with my commitment to myself, and this direction I've chosen, I will do this session and any others that come to me. And here's another first. I'm excited about the prospect. It never occurred to me to second guess it, like I normally do. 

The journey begins... I'm excited in a way I haven't felt before. Let's go!

1 comment:

  1. enjoy the journey and don't look back, you have a talent to keep you going, so keep on walking

    ReplyDelete